- Forest Glen Recreational Area
Forest Glen Recreation Area is open to the Fort Detrick/Forest Glen Community and their Families for their private parties, group picnics, and special events. The area is complete with three pavilions (accommodates 50 people), children's playground, basketball court, two softball fields, and outdoor equipment rental.
Forest Glen Recreational Area is open from sunrise to sunset daily. All individuals and groups must leave the pavilions and area before dark.
- Pavilion Reservation
Individuals or groups wanted to reserve a pavilion for their exclusive use, must complete a Forest Glen Pavilion Reservation Form, a Fort Detrick Non-DoD/Non-Federal Employee Visitor's Vetting Form, and pay a reservation fee.
Groups must reserve the area 7 days in advance by contacting Leisure Travel Office.
How to use the Form:
- Trash Policy
Most states' local parks and forest picnic areas, shelters, beaches, and other day-use areas have a Trash Free program. Fort Detrick is no different with their Carry-In and Carry-Out Trash policy at the Forest Glen Recreation Area. Visitors will need to provide their own trash bags for their disposable trash, separate their trash from recyclable items, bag and carry their trash and recyclable items to the provided receptacles on site after each visit.
Fort Detrick Waste Management provides a large, centralized trash dumpster for disposable items and a recycle trailer for recyclable plastics, aluminum cans, and glass containers.
- Home away from home: Forest Glen Recreation Area belongs to all of us...and just like home...we need to care for it and keep it clean. Too many visitors would fill the trash receptacles and leave the area. The next visitor would have to contend with unsightly, filled trash cans or carry someone else's trash to the trash dumpster.
- Less mess: Removal of the garbage and recycling containers immediately after each visit eliminates the smells and mess they create. It also cuts down on scavenging insects, bees, rodents, and geese.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: The State of Maryland and Fort Detrick promotes and encourage all residents to recycle and reduce waste. Better yet, we can make new choices of what to bring with us. The more reusable things we pack, the less garbage we'll create. It's good for us and for our environment.
Thank you for helping by "toting out what you toted in".
Ideas for Cutting Down on Waste:
- Bring reusable cups, plates, and utensils
- Bring Beverages in reusable containers
- Use cloth napkins and tablecloths
- Buy durable outdoor equipment. It may cost more at first, but it will last longer. That saves money and resources.
- Repair old equipment. Replace the torn webbing on beach chairs. Put patches on leaky air mattresses. Don't throw them away!
- Separate recyclables from the rest of your trash.
- Typical recyclables: aluminum cans, steel (tin) cans, bimetal cans, #1 and #2 plastics, glass, paper, and cardboard. Bag them up and dispose of them through your community recycling program.
- Typical non-recyclables: paper or cardboard that has contained food, and #3 - #7 plastics. Discard these items in your home garbage.
Help close the "recycle loop" by buying products made from recycle materials.
Forest Glen Recreation Area
Forest Glen Recreation Area
Open Dawn thru Dusk